Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Adventures of Honey and Leon Book Review

Leon is a Chihuahua from Brooklyn who knows how to hold his own.  Honey is a rescue mutt with a flare for acting.  They live together with their two dads in New York City.

While the pampered pooches seem to have it made, there is one problem.  Their dads are always traveling for work.  Leon and Honey miss their dads and want to protect them at all times.

One day, Honey hears the familiar sound of luggage being moved.  She and Leon quickly devise a plan to secretly follow their dads.  With bags packed, the mischievous pair hail a taxi and head to the airport.

Will this dynamic duo be able to stay incognito?  Can they complete their mission to protect their dads?  Will Honey ever become a famous actress?

I love this book!  This is definitely one of my all time favorite picture books.  The story is overflowing with humor and heart.  I also love how the book encompasses modern day technology and family life.  From Honey snapping a selfie to the discussion of same-sex couples, this book truly has it all.

Being a pet parent to five rescue dogs, I can totally relate to how much I miss them when I have to go to work or travel to a conference.  I have often wondered what it would be like to take them with me.  I am sure that chaos would ensue, much like with Leon and Honey.

Grant Shaffer's illustrations are beyond adorable.  I love how Shaffer uses pale and pastel colors for the backgrounds while using bold and vibrant colors for the main characters.  This definitely makes Leon and Honey pop off of the page.  I also love how creative Shaffer is with his artwork.  Having a Where's Waldo type spread on the first two pages of the book is pure genius.

I would highly recommend this book to readers of all ages.  Everyone will delight in Leon and Honey's silly antics.  I hope that these courageous canines will have many more adventures to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment