Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Chris P. Bacon: My Life So Far... Book Review

Chris P. Bacon:  My Life So Far by Len Lucero and Kristina Tracy tells the true story of YouTube sensation Chris P. Bacon.  This little piglet was born special.  He cannot use his back legs like most pigs.

Dr. Len Lucero decided to make Chris P. Bacon a part of their furry family.  He then realized that Chris would greatly benefit from a custom made cart that would allow Chris to run like the wind.  It took several tries, but Chris soon mastered the cart.  Dr. Lucero recorded Chris running around the house with his cart and posted the video to YouTube.  The video went viral and Chris became a star.

I loved this story.  I have a special place in my heart for differently-abled animals.  Having adopted several myself, I fully understand the challenges that these unique animals have.  This book is a shining example of the fact the being differently-abled does not mean disabled.

Animal lovers of all ages will fall in love with Chris P. Bacon and his mission to conquer the cart while stealing people's hearts.  I especially love how Penny Weber's illustrations are mixed with actual photos of Chris.  My favorite part of the book is the photo album at the end. 

This is a  fabulous read for young and old alike.  I could definitely see this book being used in humane education classes at local animal rescue groups and shelters.




No comments:

Post a Comment