Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Detective Dog Book Review

The Detective Dog by Julia Donaldson follows one super sleuth canine on a mission to solve a most puzzling mystery.  Detective Dog Nell loves solving crimes.  But that's just what she does Tuesday through Sunday.

On Mondays, she goes to school with her six-year-old boy, Peter.  The children read all sorts of wonderful stories to the popular pooch.  Nell's favorite books are the ones about dogs.

One Monday, Nell's sensitive sniffer detects a problem.  Racing inside, she and Peter discover that all of the books have been stolen.  Will the dynamic duo be able to find the clues and recover the stolen property?

I greatly enjoyed reading this book.  I love the idea of a mystery solving canine that uses its nose to snuff out crime.  Donaldson's characters are smart and lovable.  Nell's larger than life personality definitely tickles my funny bone.  I wasn't expecting for the text to be in rhyme, but it adds a fun musicality to the mystery.

I also love that Donaldson includes children reading to Nell as part of the story.  As a certified therapy dog handler, this is a program that is close to my heart.  I hope that more schools will open their doors to therapy dog teams as the benefits of children reading to dogs is truly monumental.

Sara Ogilvie's illustrations are amazing.  Her style appears to be ink with watercolor.  Each image pops off of the page and will certainly delight young and old readers alike.  I love how expressive she made Nell's ears.  My favorite illustration is the vignette of a boy reading a book about knights to Nell.

This is a fun, furry mystery read for children ages 3-6.  I can't wait to read about Nell's next adventure!



No comments:

Post a Comment