Monday, July 9, 2018

MVP: Most Valuable Puppy Book Review

MVP:  Most Valuable Puppy by Mike and Stacy Greenberg, tells the tale of one special dog.  Phoebe is a white pup with one very unique feature.  She has a pink tail!

She recalls the day that she met her best friend in the shelter:  The Girl with the Curly Hair.  Phoebe can't believe that she not only has a loving forever home, but a big sister and baby brother to play with.  Her favorite thing to do is wait for her sister to come home from school.  They always play a game of fetch and share a snack.

One day, Phoebe and her family go to the playground.  She is so excited to play with her sister.  A group of kids see the pair playing and ask if they would like to join them for a game of soccer.  They're having a great time...until the game switches to football.

Running with all her might, Phoebe's sister attempts to catch the ball and makes a huge fumble.  Can Phoebe help her find the courage to get back in the game?

I really enjoyed this story.  There are multiple themes that I think both children and adults will relate to.  I love that the story is told from Phoebe's perspective.  This definitely captured my attention and I found I was even more invested in the story than if it would have been narrated by the little girl or her parents.

I also love that this book sheds light on the importance of animal adoption.  Being a proud pet parent to five rescue dogs and three cats, this is definitely a cause that is close to my heart.  The idea of finding your best friend in a local animal shelter or from a rescue group is truly inspiring.

A more hidden aspect that I love about the book is that Mike and Stacy Greenberg are donating 100% of the profits from the sale of this book to their Heidi's Angels program.  The program helps to fight pediatric cancer through its support of the V Foundation for Cancer Research.  This is also a cause that is near and dear to my heart as I lost both of my grandmothers to cancer and have a friend whose daughter is battling a cancerous brain tumor.

This is a wonderful read for animal lovers of all ages.  Young and old alike will fall in love with Phoebe and cheer her on in her mission to be the Most Valuable Puppy.




No comments:

Post a Comment