Tuesday, July 10, 2018

My Pet Wants a Pet Book Review

My Pet Wants a Pet by Elise Broach follows the crazy antics of one boy in his quest to get a pet for his pet.  The boy is thrilled when his mother finally allows him to adopt a dog.  The pair become inseparable.

They have such fun together that the puppy decides he too would like a pet.  The boy's mother protests, but the pup soon returns with a furry orange kitten.  The unlikely friends quickly form a bond.  A bond so strong, that the kitten would like a pet of her own...

Will the perpetual presence of pets become too much to handle?

I adore this book!  Broach's story is filled with humor and heart.  I love the idea of a pet wanting a pet of its own.  I am reminded of my Chiweenie, Penny.  When we rescued a two-week-old kitten from the middle of Main Street, she remained glued to its side.  Penny raised the kitten as if it were her own pup.  The bonds between animals are truly amazing.

While the animals in the book are adorably cute, my favorite character is the mother.  As the pets begin to multiple, she starts to lose her cool but is secretly a softy at heart.  I can see a lot of my husband in her.  He always tells me, "No more pets!"  Until I bring home another furry creature that he soon falls in love with.

Eric Barclay's illustrations have a comic strip quality to them that is reminiscent of The Family Circus.  His characters are cute and endearing.  I especially love the detail that he put into the beret wearing worm and tiny little flea.  I also like his hilarious nod to Rodin's sculpture The Thinker.

This is a wonderful read for animal lovers of all ages.



No comments:

Post a Comment