Monday, March 26, 2018

Stick Dog Craves Candy Book Review

Stick Dog and his friends return for another adventure in the seventh installment of the Stick Dog series:  Stick Dog Craves Candy.  While out on their nightly scavenger hunt for food, Stripes sees something terrifying.  Two witches in a house across the street!

Poo-Poo, Mutt, Karen and Stripes look to Stick Dog for answers.  Realizing that it must be Halloween, he and his friends come up with a plan to get candy from all of the houses in the neighborhood.  Can this band of pooches remain unseen in their candy quest?  Will humans spoil their Halloween fun?  Will anyone ever figure out what Karen is talking about?

I could not put this book down!  I absolutely love it!  Stick Dog and his hilarious canine companions are sure to tickle readers' funny bones.  I found myself laughing at their antics with every turn of the page.  I can also relate to Stick Dog's role as leader as he tries to deal with his friends in a caring and compassionate manner even when they frustrate him.

I also love how the pages of the book look like that of a notebook.  It gives the reader a feeling that he/she is reading a diary.  The unique spacing of text is very eye catching and makes for added suspense. 

Watson's illustrations are basic, yet adorable and funny.  Children will be drawn (no pun intended) to the characters of Stick Dog and his friends.  My personal favorite is Karen, the Dachshund.  Owning a Dachshund, I can easily relate to Karen's forgetful personality.

This is a wonderful book for anyone who loves Halloween and dogs.  Children ages 8-12 will delight in Stick Dog's adventures.  I cannot wait to read more books from this wonderful series.



No comments:

Post a Comment