Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Dog Man Book Review

Dog Man by Dav Pilkey tells the tale of one crime fighting pooch.  Greg the dog and Officer Knight loved being police officers.  They were proud to serve and protect their community until that fateful day that they were outsmarted by super villain, Petey the Cat!

After incorrectly defusing a bomb, Greg and Officer Knight end up in big trouble.  Greg's body is dying while Officer Knight's head is dying.  The solution?  Sew Greg's head onto Officer Knight's body.  Who is this new crime fighting canine?  None other than Dog Man!

He returns to the police station to report to the chief.  News has already spread about Dog Man's greatness and the chief becomes jealous.  Sending Dog Man out onto the streets, he soon encounters Petey.  Will Dog Man be able to vanquish the feline foe?  Can he earn the respect of his chief?

I absolutely love this book!  This is the first graphic novel that I have read and found it to be a truly fun read.  Being an avid animal lover, I was immediately drawn to the character of Dog Man.  The idea of a dog patrolling the city and keeping it safe warms my heart and makes me smile.

I also love how the book contains more than just one story.  Each chapter offers a new Dog Man adventure.  My favorite was Weenie Wars.  I can totally see my dogs participating in this epic battle.

Pilkey's illustrations are hilarious.  I found myself laughing throughout the entire book.  The language used is very entertaining.  I love how he uses the word "supa."  This is definitely a fun story to read aloud.  The "notes" from Harold's teacher are beyond amusing.  My mother was an elementary teacher and I can totally relate to Harold's relationship with Ms. Construde.

This is a wonderful read for children ages 8-12.  I cannot wait to read more of Dog Man's adventures.



No comments:

Post a Comment