Thursday, July 26, 2018

Meow Meetup Chicago Review

I have a confession to make.  I had never heard of Meow Meetup before, even though I'm a self-proclaimed conference expert.  From BarkWorld to BlogPaws, I thought I knew about all of the events that are geared towards pet lovers as well as pet care professionals.

While attending the Cat Writers' Association conference a few months back, a fellow attendee inquired if I had ever gone to the meetup as it takes place in Chicago which is sort of close to where I live.  Okay, it's actually a five hour drive to the Windy City, but I still consider that close.  I had no clue what my table mate was talking about.

Naturally, I raced back to my hotel room and grabbed my laptop.  A quick Google search took me straight to the Meow Meetup homepage.  The two day conference boasts presentations from industry experts, workshops, an adoption lounge, and meet and greets with some of the Internet's most famous cats.  I immediately purchased tickets.

My suitcase was packed a full week and a half before the conference.  Can you tell I was excited?  I made sure to pack all of my cat-themed shirts (including my Lil Bub tee), my cat BOBS by Skechers shoes, and every piece of cat jewelry I owned.  I wanted to be prepared.

Donning my cat ears, my husband and I started day one of the meetup.  It was amazing! We attended several presentations given by Dr. Melissa Bain.  I loved learning about simple and affordable ways to catify our house.  We also took in the exhibit hall that featured local rescue groups, vendors, and more. 



My cat ears are on and I'm ready to go!





Priscilla told us all about The Paw Project movement.




Look at this gorgeous Sphinx cat!  He was so soft! 



Did someone say shopping?  From cat toys and tees to exclusive Lil Bub merchandise, there was definitely something for every cat lover.  You can never have too much cat stuff, right?

My absolute favorite part of the conference was the meet and greets.  I got nervous and started fanning out before each session.  My husband laughed at me.  Clearly, he doesn't understand how awesome these cats are!  Being able to pet and pose with Internet royalty was such a thrill.




Chuck the Duck is too adorable...and sleepy!





Sinbad wasn't too sure if he should leave his carrier.




I couldn't believe that Eddie Meowster jumped onto my shoulders!





Selfie time with Mike and Lil Bub!



The adoption lounge was my weakness.  There were so many adorable adoptable cats and kittens!  If only I could have hidden a kitty in my purse.  I hope that they all found loving homes.




This adoptable kitty was fast asleep.




Loving this definition of what it means to adopt an animal.



Another highlight was the Cat Video Festival hosted by none other than Instagram stars Cole and Marmalade.  The collection of adorable and hilarious videos made me laugh and cry.  The ending featured the true adoption journey of one nearly-dead kitten.  There wasn't a dry eye in the room!

On day two, Matt and I decided to partake of the Pampurr Parlor.  We both got cat tats!  While I'm not brave enough to get a real tattoo, I was proud to show off my black cat cutie. 



Me and Matt rocking the cat tats!



We ended the conference by attending The Story of Lil Bub presented by Lil Bub and her Dude, Mike Bridavsky.  Matt and I are long-time fans of Lil Bub.  We first met her at the Yeti Art Gallery in Aurora, Illinois.  Then we met up with her again at Animal Planet's Woofstock.

I have to say, this was a very intimate event.  Mike was very open and honest about his life and what led him to adopt Lil Bub.  I feel like this is the most powerful Lil Bub event we have ever attended.  The accompanying slide show contained previously unreleased footage of Lil Bub doing adorable (and hilarious) things...like attacking a plush of herself!

Mike also hosted a question and answer session after the presentation.  Except, he didn't talk at all.  Questions were to be directed to Lil Bub as it was her show.  While Mike pretended to be on the phone, he would type the answers to the questions onto his laptop that not only appeared on the screen for everyone to read, but made real Lil Bub sounds with every tap of the keys!  Matt and I couldn't stop laughing!

As a special treat, Mike gave Lil Bub her favorite food:  yogurt.  Attendees were allowed to snap pics as Lil Bub happily snarfed up the delicious delicacy.  Could there be anything more precious than yogurt dripping off of Lil Bub's nose?




Lil Bub, you have something on your nose!





Lil Bub enjoys the yogurty goodness.




Matt and I enjoyed every moment of Meow Meetup.  We will definitely be back next year.  To learn more about the event, please visit their official website at:  https://www.thecatniptimes.com/meow-meetup-chicago-2018/



No comments:

Post a Comment