Monday, July 9, 2018

I Love Cats! Book Review

I Love Cats! by Sue Stainton introduces the reader to a young girl who really loves cats.  She walks around town happily describing all of the different kinds of cats that she loves.  Some of the cats seem strange, but she doesn't mind a bit.

Hilarity ensues as the reader is taken on a journey through the girl's city meeting a menagerie of cats.  From dancing and cooking, to reading and juggling, these cats know where it's at.  The girl becomes sad when she has to leave her new friends behind and head home.  She soon discovers that her parents can be just a sneaky as an alley cat.

I really enjoyed this story.  Being a fellow cat lover, I quickly identified with the little girl and her desire to take all of the cats home.  Stainton's characters are full of happiness and heart that will make even the youngest of readers smile.

Bob Staake's illustrations are amazing.  His characters are larger than life and really pop on every page.  I also love his use of a bright and bold color palette.  Children will be captivated by the creative cats appearing throughout the story.  I also appreciate the nod to one of America's most beloved Beagles.  

I love that the story also sheds light on the adoption option.  Being the proud pet parent of three rescue cats, I love sharing their adoption stories whenever I met new fellow animal lovers.  This is also a great way to let other interested adopters know about local rescue groups and animal shelters in their area.   I could also see this book being used as part of the humane education curriculum in animal shelters throughout the country.

This is a wonderful read for children ages 4-8.  The book would also make a great gift for the cat lover in your life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment