Friday, May 18, 2018

My Dog Spot Book Review

My Dog Spot by Jack and Norma Levin introduces the reader to a young boy's dog named Spot.  He has a black ring around his left eye along with large pointy ears and a very long tail.  Spot is definitely unique.

This caring canine wears his heart on his fur.  He uses his tail to show his emotions.  Spot also loves to talk and talk....  There's so much to love about Spot!

I thought this was a fun read.  The descriptions of Spot are easily attainable for young children.  The story definitely brought back childhood memories of my first dog, Spots.  A beautiful Border Collie, he was my best friend for numerous years before losing his battle with lymphoma.

I also love Jack Levin's gorgeous illustrations.  They are large and often take up the entire page.  I find that this works very well with the minimal text.  I really like the illustrations where Spot's body spreads across both pages.  The medium used reminds me of crayon drawings that I used to do as a child.  I think that children will be drawn to the simply, yet striking images.

This is a wonderful read for children ages 4-8. 



No comments:

Post a Comment