Friday, May 18, 2018

Can I Be Your Dog? Book Review

Can I Be Your Dog? by Troy Cummings follows a stray dog, Arfy, on his search for a forever home.  Arfy is tired of living in the soggy cardboard box in the dark alleyway.  He dreams of a cozy house with a loving human.

Arfy begins sending letters to the residents of Butternut Street.  He just knows that someone will want him as their pet.  But when the rejection letters start piling up, Arfy begins to feel that he will always be a stray.  Could his fears be true?

This is one of my new favorite children's books!  I love that the story is epistolary (told through letters).  The reader really gets inside Arfy's mind and knows his true emotions.  The letters are also hilarious!

Being the owner of five rescued dogs and three cats, this story definitely tugged on my heartstrings.  I'm not going to lie, I was in tears by the end of the book.  This story will absolutely resonate with animal rescuers and lovers alike.

This story goes way beyond the typical "adopt a pet" theme.  Children get a glimpse at how stray dogs live.  Through the rejection letters, they will also learn how many stray/street dogs are treated.  This book is a wonderful teaching tool in lessons about kindness towards animals and humans alike.

Cummings' illustrations are big, bold, and adorable.  Arfy stole my heart!  Arfy's facial expressions made me laugh and cry.  I also love how each rejection letter is distinctly unique and remains true to the mystery characters behind them.

I love Arfy's letter to the reader on the last page!  Included are tips on how to help homeless animals.  With nods to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and The Humane Society, this book truly has it all.

This is a fantastic read for animal lovers of all ages.  I could definitely see this book used in humane education curriculum in shelters and rescue organizations across the country.



No comments:

Post a Comment