Saturday, February 24, 2018

Here's Hank: A Short Tale About a Long Dog Book Review

Here's Hank:  A Short Tale About a Long Dog by Henry Winkler sets Hank on his most important mission yet:  to get a dog of his own.  He knows that his grades are not the best, but he is willing to do whatever it takes to make his dog dreams a reality.

Entering into a deal with his dad, Hank must improve all of his grades in order to earn a trip to the animal shelter.  He is definitely up for the challenge!  From studying to creating interactive book reports, Hank is determined to make his grades soar.

When his latest report card falls short, Hank fears that he will never be able to adopt a furry friend.  Can he prove to his father that he is responsible enough to handle the challenges of owning a pet?  Will he be able to raise his grades and sharpen his focus?

I love this story!  I was surprised to discover that the book is written in a font called Dyslexie.  This font was created specifically for dyslexic readers by a Dutch graphic designer, Christian Boer, who himself is dyslexic.  I found the font very easy to read.  I feel that it compliments the story well and looks like a font that a child would have created.  This discrete font change will also help dyslexic children read with confidence.

I also found the character of Hank to be charming and hilarious.  He mentions to the reader numerous times that he has trouble focusing.  I feel like many children (as well as adults) will be able to relate to Hank and his focusing issues.  I especially feel that children with ADD and ADHD will gravitate toward Hank and cheer him on in his quest for good grades.

This story also touches my heart because it sheds light on the importance of adopting animals from local shelters.  All of my dogs and cats are rescues that have come from various rescue groups and animal shelters.  One of my dogs is also Dachshund, so I can definitely relate to Hank's heart-melting moment the day he met Cheerio.

Overall, this is a wonderful read for animal lovers of all ages.  I would highly recommend gifting this book to any child who is in the process of adopting a dog.




No comments:

Post a Comment