Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Cat Fanciers' Association Cat Show Review

While attending the Cat Writers' Association Conference in Houston, Texas, I had the extreme pleasure of attending my very first cat show.  I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first.  Now I'm a cat show addict!



Welcome to the show!


Unlike the famous Westminster Dog Show, the cats are not put on a leash and paraded around in a circle.  Instead, each cat is placed into a metal cage behind the judge's table.  The cages have numbers that are specific to each participating cat.  One by one, the cats are removed from the cages and judged individually to see who will be the best in breed.




This cute kitty is waiting to be judged.




The judge in action!



As I toured the room with a fellow CWA attendee, I was surprised at how friendly all of the show participants were.  Nothing at all like what numerous comedy films portray.  The cat owners loved talking about their fancy felines and even encouraged petting and photo taking.




Taking a nap between judging.




I really wanted to hug this cat!




That face!




Striking a (grumpy) pose.




I fell in love with this Maine Coon!




Pick me, judge!




Being a show cat is hard work!




Snuggle time.




Would you believe that this cutie only has one coat of fur?




I love the look of these cats.




A gorgeous Bengal ready to pounce!




Can you see the eyes of the snuggling cat?




Patiently waiting.



My favorite cat that I met is Aharon.  He is a Norwegian Forest Cat.  His owner, Leah Dow, shared Aharon's journey from being mistreated to being best in show.  

Aharon was a former show champion who eventually went to live with an elderly couple.  When the couple divorced, a local rescue group discovered that Aharon had been living in a cage outside in the Texas heat!

Leah remembers how happy Aharon was when she and her husband adopted him.  She even showed me videos of Aharon zooming around his new home.  Leah said that she was surprised when she was given Aharon's papers and awards certificates during the adoption process.

Now, Aharon is living the life of a true champion.  He dazzles judges with his stunning good looks and charms them with his calm demeanor.  I would definitely vote for this king cat!




Aharon is ready to win!



I had a wonderful time attending my first cat show.  I met so many wonderful people as well as fabulous felines.  To learn more about the Can Fancier's Association, please visit their website at:  cfa.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment