Friday, January 22, 2016

WiggleLess Dog Back Brace Review

Ever since adopting our mini double dapple Dachshund, Hope, I have been learning as much as I possibly can about the breed.  I always knew that doxie owners had to be very careful about overfeeding their fur babies so as not to injure their tiny backs.  What I did not know about is IVDD.

According to www.petmd.com, "Intervertebral disc disease is a condition where the cushioning discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column either bulge or burst into the spinal cord space.  These discs then press on the nerves running through the spinal cord causing pain, nerve damage and even paralysis."  Dogs that suffer from IVDD basically have two options:  surgery or become wheelchair bound.

As you know, I love differently-abled animals and have always adored "wheelchair dogs."  The way that they zoom around is truly inspiring.  Yet, many pooches that have IVDD are euthanized because their families cannot afford the costly carts, which start at about $500.00.

The surgery to correct IVDD isn't any less costly. Not to mention the copious amount of down time that the dog will have to have post-op.  The kicker?  The surgery, while temporarily effective, may not last.

Armed with this frightening knowledge, I do everything within my power to make sure that Hope's precious little back is cared for correctly.  I carefully monitor her food intake.  I hold her in the proper positioning and greatly discourage my husband from doing "the baby" pose (holding Hope in his arms on her back).  But I still wonder, is it enough?

That is when I discovered the WiggleLess back brace.  The brace offers firm support, back stability and stress relief for your dog.  Not only will this brace help dogs with IVDD, but it can be worn as a preventative measure.

The aspect that I most love about the brace is how customizable it is.  Using the handy sizing guide featured on the WiggleLess website (www.wiggleless.com), I was able to order the perfect size for Hope.  I did not have to make any adjustments.

Each brace also comes with a step-by-step pictorial of how to place the brace on your dog.  I love that the pictures are of a real dog and not a crazy cartoon.  I found fitting Hope with the brace to be amazingly easy.

Unlike regular harnesses, the WiggleLess back brace features built-in boning for firm support.  The goal is to keep the spine properly aligned.  No squishy foam here!

After securing the brace, Hope seemed a bit confused.  She was very hesitant to walk and took only small steps.  I would like to point out that Hope was born without eyes and is completely deaf, which would explain a great deal of her confusion.


Hope wearing her WiggleLess back brace.


Hope soon began to prance around the room.  I noticed an immediate difference.  Her bottom tends to sway when she walks.  The sway was completely eliminated!  She also appeared to have a better sense of balance.  Hope walked in more of a straight line as opposed to her typical pull to the left or right.





She was a bit surprised when she attempted to curl up on her pet pillow.  Hope loves to do a variation on "shrimping," which the brace does not allow for.  Again, the goal is to keep the back/spine straight.  I believe that she will become more comfortable in a lying position the more that she wears the brace.

Overall, I would highly recommend the WiggleLess Dog Back Brace to all pet parents.  Especially if you own a Dachshund.  Their user friendly website is filled with useful information, including a link to everything IVDD.

IVDD is scary, but it doesn't have to be a death sentence.  Be proactive about your dog's back health.  Order your WiggleLess back brace today!




Sources:   www.petmd.com                        www.wiggleless.com


No comments:

Post a Comment